Thursday, May 20, 2010

Google TV: Another step towards convergence

The installed base of television far exceeds that of personal computers, particularly true for the emerging markets. I have special interest in this field of convergence.  I tend to view a TV as a monitor without a CPU.  Google TV is in a way opening up the existing investments that households have made in the TV set and enabling them to use a neighbouring WI-FI connection to browse the Internet. 

I can see enormous potential, however, Google needs to set up
  • A brand and product awareness exercise to make existing customers aware of the product, that is, going beyond Internet advertisements and using print and TV campaigns to reach the end customer.
  • A customer service organization - This is a hardware offering - which needs customer support and education.  What if the WI-FI hot spot is at a distance from the TV, with walls and roofs in-between? Will a customer service person tune and configure the system? Who will provide support and service?
  • Support for community sharing - Will this work in apartment complexes who set-up a shared WI-FI link?
An interesting initiative, which has all the potential to succeed and yet, too many execution risks at this stage.  Google will need all the program management and marketing skills they have to make it a success.  I wish them luck !!

1 comment:

  1. I didnt even know there was google tv until I read it here. But yes I would love to put my tv to other good uses when not watching broadcast programs!

    ReplyDelete